Sunday, October 24, 2010

grandma and grandpa's 90th

This weekend it was our privilege to celebrate Grandpa and Grandma Ross 90th Birthday! Aunt Doris flew in from Utah, Rebecca and her new husband Chris flew in from Denver and Uncle Brent and Aunt Eileen drove up from Las Vegas. It was a family full wonderful weekend. Friday night we had pizza and ice cream bars and hung out and visited. Everything was real low key and it was fun to be together.

Eliza Ross

Ray Ross

Joanna

Rebecca and Chris

Aunt Eileen

Aunt Doris, Uncle Brent, Mom and Nathan

Grandpa Ross

Uncle Brent

Eliza

Aunt Doris

Love is still in the air even if your 90 years old!

Aunt Beth, Grandma and Miles

Eliza telling her Grandma a secret (aunt Beth)

Joanna

Miles and Aunt Doris
Aunt Beth and Miles

Saturday I had a wedding to shoot up in Gold Hill (right below Virginia City). I had Rebecca and Chris follow us up and explore Virginia City while I photograped the wedding. Then they picked me up and I was able to ride home with them. It was SO fun to chat and get to know Chris better. Rebbecca found a really good guy.

The wedding was an experience in and of itself. First of all, I was super nervous because it was my first wedding. Then to top it off the room where the ceremony was held had a wood ceiling-making it pretty dark. John walked in and said, "oh this is pretty dark. I think this is the darkest room I have ever shot in" Great! I had John's lens which is pretty good but didnt have a fast enough shutter even if I used my flash. I did my best to get pictures but I am SO grateful I was NOT the primary shooter. I would have ruined the whole wedding. However I was in charge of the pre-ceremony with the bride and helped with outdoor pictures. I was happy with how they turned out. But by the time I left the wedding and I wondered what the heck I was getting myself into. I really started doubting going into photography, but I must say the perk is REALLY good food.

By the time I made it home several people were already up at Grandma and Grandpa's house. They all wanted to know how the wedding went. I wasn't too confident and said I learned a lot and was glad I went (which was all true). After the party started to die down Matt was kind enough to take the kids home and I took Rebecca and Chris out to the Peppermill. I was super proud of myself and spend over an hour on just a dollar. Chris tried to teach me how to play poker but I still didn't get it.

Sunday was the designated BIG birthday bash. It was their actual birthday. My mom had planned a pot luck dinner that everyone pitched in with. She also organized another mini oral history about Grandpa's life as a photographer and group pictures taken down as Ross Photo with yours truly as the photographer.

I decided since a lot of the family was here I wanted to go to my parents ward for church. Heck Grandma and Grandpa's birthday was even acknowledged over the pulpit. It was nice to see so much family surrounding my grandparents.

The original plan was to take pictures down at Ross Photo and then do the oral history there (like we did Parren), A few things didn't work out and we decided we need to eat first, then rush everyone down for pictures and the have everyone come back to Grandma and Grandpa's for the history. As you can imagine we lost a few people but over all we had a great turn out.

Happy Birthday. Hope I can age as well as they have.

Eliza looks real concerned that she is handcuffed

Uncle Norman and Aunt Beth playing with Miles
Our dinner: line up for the buffet style
We push all the furniture to the side to make room for card tables and chairs.
Eva and Aunt Erin
Crystal
Aunt Doris and Eva
Aunt Eileen
Aunt Nan
Ray

Seth

Tucker and Melvin

Keith and their new baby girl Savannah
Eva and Aunt Doris

The engaged couple Jordan and Gabrielle

Nathan Ross

Keith Knight

The Momma's with their babies:Angela and Savannah, Me and Miles, Crystal and Eva, Angie and Avery

Savannah, Miles, Eva and Avery
I think she is thinking, "what do you want?"

My dad video recording the oral history
Eva really wants that post card Erin has
Yummy those hands taste good.

Sam and Seth Ross playing with Avery Ross
Carsen Knight

Aunt Nan loving on her newest granddaughter.

Avery and Gabrielle

Gabrielle and Avery
The cousins all hanging out

The babies need to eat too
Tucker telling his grandma about his new little sister Savannah

Tucker


I LOVE this picture of Grandma and Grandpa.

So sweet!
How I love this lady.

Uncle Don catching up on the news.

Eliza playing on the stairs

Aunt Doris with her daughter Rebecca and son-in-law Chris

Brian listening to Grandpa during the oral history

Miles cuddling up to his Aunt Erin

HEY! Where did you get that pacifier? It was was getting late and I needed her to be quite. The pacifier is AWESOME!
Jordan and Gabrielle

Uncle Don

Aunt Eileen and Uncle Brent

The gang listening to Grandpa talking about Ross Photo


Lookin at the pictures that went along with Grandpa's story

Crystal, Erin , Miles, Perm, Jordon and Gabrielle getting all cozy on the couch

Matt


Seth and Eva

Grandpa Hicks came for dinner and the oral history

Sam is so funny in this picure. Sam, Eva and Seth

Crystal

Eva and her Daddy Brian

Joanna, Eva and Eliza


Norman and Beth

Matt looking at some of the artifacts from the Ross Photo Era

Rebecca being silly

Wow Miles has a pacifier in his mouth.

Don and Corrine Ross

Uncle Don

Jordan and Gabrielle

Aunt Doris
The night was getting late and we were all getting a little tired. I caught a few people yawning:

Aunt Beth

Aunt Eileen

Brielle said forget the yawning just get on the floor

Uncle Don

Aunt Eileen

Uncle Don loved to watch Brielle, she was putting on quite the show

CHEESE!

This was the first time she caught air from jumping. I just happen to catch it on camera

Rebecca

Grandma and Grandpa opening a few presents.

Aunt Eileen and Uncle Brent

The engaged couples: Erin and Perm; Jordan and Gabrielle

Uncle Don and Dad watching Brielle being silly




Dancing in a circle. Brielle had a great time!


Look at that peaceful face.

I think this picture is SO funny
We had these grandeous ideas about the pictures however none of them happen. Right before dinner I loaded the truck up with chairs. Then right after dinner Brian and I took off to set up lights and chairs. I literally had 10 minutes to set everyone up and take a group picture. I was stressing out about how they would turn out. I wasn't too sure about posing. I set the timer on my camera and it takes 9 pictures at a time. We took a total of 18 pictures and the last handful were funny poses. Overall I think they turned out. I learned a lot from doing this and am happy with my amateur work.
The group picture top left to right:
Jordan, Don, Chris, Rebecca, Chad, Beth, Ray, Norman, Melvin, Brent, Douglas
Corrine, Doris, Anita, Brielle, Grandma, Grandpa, Nan, Eileen,
Gabrielle, Jacob, Me, Crystal, Eva, Erin, Miles, Eliza, Joanna, Nathan, Angie, Avery
Sam, Seth, Matt, Brian and Perm

No comments: