Monday, September 13, 2010

Erin's proposal night

I knew Erin and Perm were getting serious as each day passed. As soon as Perm came home from his mission, their relationship started off where they had left it and they were very happy with each other. The cat got out of the bag that Perm had asked my Dad for Erin's hand. Since Perm lives with us we told him we could him plan the proposal if he needed us to. At first he didn't have any interest in anyone helping but as the time approached he ended up turning to us for help.

Let me back up a little. Once Erin found out Perm asked Dad she was hunting for dresses... thus the wedding dress shopping and ring shopping. We planned a trip into Utah because we figure we would find a dress there. However Mom was really hesitant to take Erin into Utah without a ring on her finger.

Originally he asked us to help him figure out how to do a hot air balloon ride and he would ask her then. We tried to hook them up with a ride during the Reno Air balloon races but it wasn't working out. I did find a site where he could pay and do the ride up at Tahoe. So that was the plan. We tried to think of a story so Erin would be surprised (because she was expecting it). He had a time frame because she needed that ring before Utah.

The Sunday before we left for Utah (which was Wednesday) I came up with the perfect proposal idea for Perm. We have family dinner at my house and so right before we ate I pulled Perm aside to talk to him about a new plan.

I thought it would be really cool if Erin went horse back riding with my friend, Jacky in the hills of Washoe Valley. They could ride down to where Perm was waiting and he could propose to her there and then have a romantic picnic. He was liking the idea so my next step was to contact Jacky and see if she could do it.

From this point on it was insane. The best time for Jacky was MONDAY...the very next day! Perm had work and class all day. So here I am texting back and forth with Jacky and Perm. Perm is like a deer in front of headlights...wide eyed and shocked. At one point he is sitting on his bed asking me, "now tell me again...how is this going to work? Help me picture this." I laughed and told him it was going to be great. It's everything he wanted...element of surprise, romantic, and fun.

Right before my parets and Erin left that night I informed my family that we were going to dinner with the Warner's Monday night. If we want to go horse back riding we have to be there early. Everyone was on board. Erin was ecstatic that she was going to be able to go horse back riding. She was going right along with the plan...perfect!

We went to bed knowing that Perm was going to propose that next night, I had to plan and gather everything, Perm was going to have to ditch out on class, Jacky had to give us directions to the location and a picture so we knew we were in the right spot, I needed to get a babysitter because Perm wanted Matt and I there recording the moment, and I needed to work out all the details. There was a lot to do.


Sunday Erin and Perm dressed up in the Indian outfits that Perm's uncle brought from India. They look awesome!


Ok so the morning starts. Perm is off to work and I am frantically trying to figure out how all this is going to work. Jacky texted me a picture and the directions to the location. We looked up what time the sun was to set that night and set a time when Erin needed to be out there. (I failed to mention that I triple booked myself that night...ward party at the park, dinner with the Singers and picture taking for Perm). Matt kept asking me how this was all going to work out and I could never respond. I wasn't sure. I wasn't sure how to connect all the dots for Perm, and how I was going to be in three different places. The only thing I did know was I had to get things together for Perm.

My plan was to get everything Erin liked. I started off calling different places to find chocolate cover strawberries. Lucky for me the Mountain Chocolate Factory is just down the street and they would make them for me. I went and picked a dozen strawberries up. Then I went to Costco and picked up their two dozen red roses and some sparkling cider. Next was the Nothing Bunt cake and picked up her favorite cake. We knew we wanted to go to Deli Towne for her sandwich cause it's her favorite place. I called her and told her I was going there for lunch and I always get something I don't like. I asked her what her favorite sandwich was and then asked her to text me what she likes on it. I then texted Perm her answer. I then went to Walmart and picked up some candle holders and candles. I had some Mango at home that I would include with their picnic. I called my neighbor and borrowed the i-pod music holder that I could hook up Matt's i-pod to and they could have romantic music playing in the background. Man things were shaping up and I was getting excited.

I still needed to find a babysitter for at least Brielle. Luckily my wonderful friend Molly was willing to watch her while we went out to dinner with the Singers and during the proposal. I then called Jamie to see if we could move up the dinner time. I figured she wouldn't mind because she had to work that night. We were to meet the Singers at 4:30 for dinner and be out to Washoe Valley by six. We ended up having to miss our ward gathering.

When Perm walked in the cooler was packed and everything he needed was in a pile ready for him to pick up and walk out the door. The only thing he needed to do was pick up the sandwhiches. During the day Jacky decided it would be best if Perm went to her house first and used their truck to get to the location...it was a pretty rocky unpaved road.
When we met up with the Singers (they had a free BJ's dinner) the restaurant had lied and they couldn't seat us until 5:15 the earliest. We couldn't do that so we went over to the Olive Garden. When we walked in, Jamie told them we were in a hurry and they responded. It was some of the fastest and best service I have had in a long time. Meanwhile I had ran out of time to get the video camera so Dad was kind enough to met me at the Olive Garden and drop it off.

During dinner I was getting different text from Perm and Erin and Jacky. Perm decided to go straight out to the location because he was afraid Erin was going to catch him at Jackys. Erin decided to leave a little early because I emphasized she couldn't be late if she wanted to go riding.

After dinner we rushed out to the location. While we were driving there we told Erin to just go to the house and start riding because we were running late.

The only thing I was freaking out about was the location. The only person that had been there was Jacky. I wasn't sure if we had the right spot, and where to park the cars etc. While we were driving down the road I was shocked my poor car was on the road. Then we pulled up to the location and I was flabbergasted with where Perm parked....did he think he had a four wheel drive vehicle? It was off this steep hill. Neither Matt or I knew if he was going to get that thing out.

We arrived and Perm had a lot of the setting up done. Matt helped him with the final touches with the roses. We moved the truck, got the cameras ready and just waited.


The picnic area.

The final touches done and Perm had the ring in his hot little hands.

Matt was asking Perm how he was feeling...so far his nervous were calm and he was just excited.

We were standing around when I looked up and saw them. We had to scurry and hide before she saw us. The plan was Matt and I were going to stay in the bushes with our cameras and Perm was going to do his thing.

Once Perm saw Erin, he became really nervous.

Our plan didn't work accordingly. The horses were spooked when they saw Matt. Erin saw Matt before Perm. Matt decided to come out of the bushes.

Perm walking out the meet Erin....she still hasn't seen him at this point.


The hello.


"Will you marry me?" (you don't see it but on the video her head is bobbing up and down...it's really cute).


Putting the ring on the finger


She said YES!


After the moment was done Matt rode back with Jacky and I stayed with Miles and took some pictures. I left them alone to watch the sunset and enjoy their romantic dinner.
Thank you Jacky for making this possible.


Check out the ring...it looks good.











Congrats you guys. I can't wait to have Perm as a brother-in-law. We love you!

1 comment:

Let's Singh It! said...

YEAH!!!! you did a great job capturing it!!! :) Thanks for all the sacrifice you made that day to have it be so perfect. You really know me and what I love. Thank you! :)