I think winter hit late but we have had record breaking snow up in the mountains. We just had back to back storms where some snow hit the valley floor but it really dumped in the mountains. My mom suggested we go for a little ride and check out all the snow in Soda Springs. I was excited because Matt was allowed the morning off so we all could go. We had to drive separate vehicles because my parents took Grandpa Hicks with them but we walked a little on our cell phones. It's not the same as being together in one car but I am still glad we were all able to go.
The drive up was beautiful. At one point the snow was plowed so high on the highway you couldn't even see beyond the snow wall. It was crazy. Pulling into Soda Springs the first thing you see is a gas station. I was amazed with the snow piled on the roof. Little did I know what was to come.
As we drove further into Soda Springs the road became narrower, pretty soon it was one in a half lanes. We pulled off to let some cars pass and I captured this spectacular picture. As we kept doing down the road there were several spots where you couldn't even see the cabins or you just see the door.
| This is a big building that has a shopping center and postal place, but the only thing you can see is the door! |
We were going to keep going but they closed the road. We had to pull into this tiny area and turn around, but before doing so we jumped out and took a picture.
| That is A LOT of snow. |
| Her yelling "NO" |
When my mom walked back down she was talking about this cabin as they were driving by that was completely covered in snow and that's why they stopped. I wanted a picture so I walked back up the road to see what my mom was talking about.
| Just enough room to get into the vehicle, a latter leading up to a tiny snow tunnel that leads them into their house. |
We had so much fun looking at all this snow. It's mind boggling really.
| Man what a cute family! |
As we were driving out I noticed this SUV covered in snow....I don't think they are going anywhere for awhile.
We headed back toward Tahoe but took a quick detour to look at the Donner Party Monument. My mom was very interested to see what this snow pack was in comparison to what the Donner Party faced. We hiked over to get a closer look
| They say the snow pack was as high as the base of the monument. Can you imagine? |
| My Dad stepped off the little snow trial and sunk down a little. |
| Miles was lovin the snow |
| Some of the snow came off and landed on his head, this caused Miles too look up and discovered he could touch the snow |
| Once we were close enough to the snowman Brielle decapitated it. |
Once we were done taking pictures I had a hard time getting back because I kept sinking.
I finally made it back to a compacted snow trail but my shoes were a little wet.
We were home by noon and the boys were able to get to work. I am so happy we decided to go. I loved seeing all that snow!
No comments:
Post a Comment