I talked to people about it to see if there was an interest. Then I tried to plan it but the date didn’t work out for a couple people. I wasn’t going to do it due to these couples not going to make it but then my Mom told me to use this opportunity to branch out and get to know other couples. So I took her advice and planned the party anyway. I invited 6 couples. All of them I knew but wanted to build more of a relationship with.
Erin and Perm were AWESOME and were willing to take the kids for the night. Erin was also kind enough to come and pick up the kiddos so I didn’t have to leave the house. It was a good thing cause like all my other parties….I RUN OUT OF TIME TO GET MYSELF READY!
I spent all morning cleaning and remained pretty calm. It felt great to get the house really clean and I was feeling good. Matt came home for lunch and we were talking about a few last minute items I needed to pick up. After discussing our list, he got up and said he would go get them! WOW! Thanks Babe. I continued cleaning until he came home. By now it was close to 2. My game plan was: put kids down for nap, take shower, cook the bacon, pick up the toys Brielle drug throughout the house, get the décor ready, set table, and put meat in. I was hoping this would all be accomplished before the kids woke up.
HA! What was I thinking? The only task I accomplished before Miles woke up was my shower. I tried to feed him and have him fall asleep again, but that did nothing but waste my time. Before I knew it, time was approaching 3 and I still had so much to do. Now my panic attack set in and I was wondering how I was going to get everything done?
So I started to mop the floor, while cooking the bacon (outside so it wouldn’t have the bacon smell all night), entertaining Miles and trying to locate walkie talkies. As the four o’clock hour approached I called Matt and told him I needed help. I really didn’t think I was going to get it all done. He chuckled and said, “I thought you were being really calm at lunch.”
Side note: The problem with doing a dinner for anyone other than yourself is the issue with time. You want to have everything ready so if people show up right on time it’s ready. However what if they are late and then everything gets cold or soggy etc. I always try to get my meals done close to being right on time. We had to cook the meat for an hour and let it set for 15 min. I figure if it sat longer it would be ok.
After putting the meat in and doing a few more things, Matt made it home. By now Erin was on her way over to pick up the kids. So I needed to make sure I gathered everything together she needed for the night. Mind you, the kids were still in their pajamas (don’t judge) and I needed to get them dressed. So while Matt was picking up the toys, I’m getting them dress and trying to set the table.
Once we got the kids out the door my stress seemed to dissipate a little. It was nice knowing I didn’t have to worry about them and I could focus on the task at hand. I started freaking out thinking the pasta sauce was going to take 30 minutes and it was already 4:30. Looking at it again, we discovered it only took a few minutes because we had already cooked the bacon. The pasta only took 4 minutes to cook and the asparagus Matt cut up, seasoned and was ready to cook in just a few minutes. (Thus the other problem with hosting a dinner. I always put my self into situations where I/we have several things that need to be taken care of but not until RIGHT before people start to show up). I had a small window to get ready and I literally had like 10 minutes to get ready. My hair was still a little wet. Therefore, I did my typically straight iron look, threw my makeup on and headed back down stairs. I was bummed cause I was looking forward to trying to look cute for the evening (stupid expectation of mine). However Matt still had to get ready too, so when I came down he ran upstairs to shower, and get dressed while I finished the last touches of everything.
I started to warm the pasta sauce and started to get real nervous because I wasn’t sure how it was going to work out. We had never tried it before. I was sweatin bullets until people started eating it.
I had decided NOT to put the pasta in until the first person showed up. 5:30 came rolling around and no one was there yet. It didn’t take long until the first couple did show up but I am glad I waited on the pasta. However, I felt bad cause all the couples showed up at once and we were still cooking. Oh well.
It was a potluck style dinner and we did buffet style serving. The food was delicious and we had an awesome mix. I felt like we all got along really well and we had great conversations with some good laughs.
| Back left corner going clockwise: Chris and Chanika McCombs, Shantel and Ryan Gonda, Matt Taylor, Phile and Rebecca Walker, Jill and Casey Bisard, David and Talia Garcia |
Before the party I asked Erin to make a list of 10 items and stick them in an envelope. Then I explained that each of the items could be found in the grocery section of Wal-mart. Each girl had to describe the items without saying the item name or any part of the name. The guy had to figure out what item they were talking about and find it in the store. We had 20 minutes to complete the task. The couple that completed the list won.
Afterwards we were heading to Kohl’s where the men would have to pick out a complete outfit for their wife. To clarify the outfit-they needed to find something that would be appropriate for a nice dinner. Again, they would have 20 minutes to accomplish the task.
The guys were a little hesitant but the girls were excited. We headed off to Wal-mart where we took a picture out front. We ran into a few grumpy people and received some pretty funny looks, but we had a great time. A few of us had issues with our walkie talkies. I did not have any advantage because I didn’t know what was on the list. Erin said she was bitter that she wasn’t invited and so she put Canned Pigs Feet as a funny pay back. The other items: Powered Doughnuts, Applesauce, Pasta Shells, Whipped Cream, Saltine Crackers, Ginger Ale Soda, Canned Easy Cheese, Oreo Cakesters, and Oatmeal.
If I were to do this again. I would make each list different AND reduce the time limit. Everyone finished in the 20 minutes. It didn’t help that the guys would look at each others baskets. I didn’t know Matt was doing that and so when he asked if we needed a few items I was like, “Yes! Good job!” I thought he finally figured out what I was trying to tell him. HA! It was still fun.
| Matt and Casey had a plan. Casey was going to push and Matt was going to grab the items off the shelve. |
Now Kohls was stinkin HILIRIOUS! Some of these guys were SO lost. Poor David didn’t even know where to start or what to do. He wandered around and kept saying, “This is WAY harder than I thought. I don’t know why you guys shop!” Phil on the other found a friend’s sister that happen to work there and had her help him. After the 20 minutes the girls went into the dresser room and tried on the outfits. It was pretty fun to see what everyone looked like. I think the guys did a good job.
| Phil's personal shopper, a Kohl's empolyee-aka friends sister. |
| Ryan thinking, "Will this work?" |
| Chris didn't act worried at all. |
| Casey was wondering what the heck I was doing |
| David was praying that SOMEONE would help him |
| My complete outfit in Matt's hands. Yes hunny I like the 38D bra leopard print bra. NICE! |
| Shantel couldn't wear the pants Ryan picked because they were too small, however he did a great job with everything else. |
| Phil and Rebecca-everything fit her |
| Casey and Jill |
| In the last 5 minutes of the game David was able to capture Phil's helper and she picked out an outfit for him. |
| Chris and Chanika-can you believe she is like 6 months pregnant here! |
| Heck Matt even hooked me up with a necklace and sunglasses! |
The women all together: One good looking group!
After our games we went back to the house for dessert where we visited for a little while. I think the night was a success. Rebecca turned to me as we were walking out of Kohls and thanked me for making her feel like she was back in the singles ward again. I am so happy it was a success. My sauce turned out, the food was good, the company was awesome and the games were fun. Thanks everyone for coming!
We went and picked the kids up around 11. Erin had both kids in bed including Perm and the dog. It was a full bed. However I couldn't get a picture because by the time I got there Miles was up, the dog was excited someone was there and the only two people that were dead to the world were Brielle and Perm. Brielle did wake up and talk about her night most of the way home. She had such a good time with her Aunt and Uncle. They seriously are fun and take good care of the kids (well spoil them rotten).
After putting the kids down I had another first for me. Matt had to do his church stuff so I stayed up and did all the dishes and cleaned the kitchen before I went to bed. We ended up going to bed after 2AM but it was totally worth it. One of the best nights I have had in awhile!
No comments:
Post a Comment