Matt had to get up and go over to Renown to give someone a blessing by 7AM so I found myself alone in the room. The OB Dr. Chotnier rounded on me. I asked if he was concerned about me getting an infection due to the procedures the day before. He said the risk was low. I also asked him again that what happen doesn't place me high risk for the next baby and he once again said no, it's specific to this pregnancy. I figured I would take advantage of the time and try to sleep after breakfast. It never failed that right when I fell asleep, I was woken up. I had someone call my room twice asking for a patient that had already been discharged-he didn't get it the first time I told him.ERR! Finally I gave up on the thought of sleeping.
The day was very relaxing and quite. We didn't have any visitors all day. The only person that really came into my room was the hearing screen lady. They changed the way they perform hearing test and it's not done in the room. It was pretty funny because I was talking with the lady and a few minutes into testing she stops and says, "Oh! WE are done!" She acted surprised. I commented on her reaction and she informed me that they are happy if the babies pass in ten minutes, but he passed his hearing test in 3 minutes! My little man has good ears. It made me chuckle.
I waited until the afternoon to take a shower. I was so afraid it was going to tucker me out and I would be done for the day. I wanted to make sure Matt was around just in case I needed help. However my shower experience was opposite of my expectations. The shower was rejuvenating and felt SO good. I was surprised how much energy I had after the shower. As the day went on the better I felt. Once I stopped using ice packs I noticed how little I was bleeding-it was shocking really. Heck so far I was SO excited how my postpartum was going-little bleeding and more energy!
That night Brian, Crystal, Eva, G.pa Hicks, Erin, Mom,Dad and Brielle came to visit and have dinner with me. It was fun having everyone there. Brielle was more willing to see me now that I didn't have an IV nor machines all around. I was happy my little girl came to me. When she first walked through the door I made sure I spent some one-on-one time with her. We looked out the window at the water, and walked to the kitchen to get juice that she could drink. I missed her so much and couldn't wait to go home to be all together in surroundings she was comfortable with.
Brian and Crystal didn't stay for dinner. They wanted to get out before it got too dark and before Eva's next feeding. It was great to have them come up for a short visit. I loved having the whole family around.
Matt took Brielle home to put her to bed and Erin was the last one to leave that night. I stayed up blogging some more and just hanging out until Matt came back. We didn't go to bed until around midnight. Miles woke up just a handful of times to eat. He is a better feeder than Brielle so far. He sucks like he should but he does favor my left side. Funny because Brielle favored my right.
Brielle likes having the glove blown up.
She was getting restless so my distraction was my i-phone game. She was pretty happy after that.
The siblings: Brian, Danielle, Erin with their kids Eva, Brielle and Miles
Wow baby mania
My parents with the grandkids.
Grandparents and Grandkids
I LOVE this picture, the kids starting crying so why not join??
Auntie with the babies
My second night on postpartum was better than the first because I could move without needing help. The pain in my stomach had gone down and now it's just a little nag. I still have discomfort in my back and am using heated blankets as well as the Mortin. I have decided to stay on that all the time for awhile. It's my only pain medication and it works really well. I was told with the second baby your contractions are more intense when breastfeeding but so far I haven't experienced that. Miles is still sleeping pretty good but I still didn't get much sleep- I just couldn't get comfortable. Because Miles has been really sleepy it's been hard to breastfeed as often as they would like. In fact I didn't wake him up enough which probably wasn't a good thing considering the jaundice issue.
The morning labs for miles bilirubin jumped from 8 something to 13.1 and his weight dropped to 6 lbs 9 oz. Melvin felt it was time to start treating the bilirubin and felt we could be discharged home with a bili blanket for phototherapy. I had to follow up with my pediatrician first thing in the morning. Now the blue spectrum light helps break down bilirubin so the liver can metabolize it more easily. Infants livers are not mature enough to break down enough bilirubin in the blood and thats why the levels rise. However with phototherapy tends to be enough to fix the problem, and eventually the liver kicks in and starts working better.
Dr. Farringer, (Najami's partner) rounded on me. I asked him if my pathology report was back, but it wasn't. I also informed him that my biggest complaint was my back really hurting from the epidural. He took a look and said that I could have discomfort for several months! That really shocked me. Oh well, the epidural was well worth the discomfort I was having to deal with. I figure it is residual effect from him placing it in the wrong spot the first time.
I was super excited to go home. The bili blanket was delivered to the room and I was shocked with how small it is now. Seriously the size of a 12 oz bottle. They said it was a prototype and only two companies in the U.S. had them. I was happy it wasn't as large as the previous blankets.
I felt really good and curled my hair and got ready for the day. My mom brought Brielle over and we waited for discharge paperwork. Meanwhile, Liz Warner happen to run into Matt in the hallways and she swung by to say hello. Right after lunch we were free to go! Yippee!
I didn't take a Motrin before I left and started feeling pretty yucky by the time I made it home. I was achy and hurting. Matt ran to the store and picked up Motrin for me. By the time I got it in me I was done for. My mom helped me get settled in. Meanwhile Matt was running around trying to put up the co-sleeper and a few other things so they were ready and then we all went down for a nap. We were finally able to get a 2 hour nap which help SO much. I continued to feel really good as long as I remained on Motrin and when it was almost time for another dose, I could feel it. I don't remember feeling this way with Brielle.
The rest of the day was pretty calm. We were all happy to be home. My visiting teachers brought us dinner that night. It was a WONDERFUL meal with the most delicious and fresh bread. YUMMY. Dessert was root beer floats. They also gave me a balloon and a card which was super sweet of them. On top of that, Susan does daycare and offered to take Brielle whenever I needed her to.
The bili blanket is small but SO bright and very noisy. What I compare the noise to is like a very noisy baby monitor that you can't turn down. Matt tucked the motor under the bed which helped muffle it a little. The light is blinding at night and I hated having to change his diaper. I am just grateful to be home and treating it.
Brielle found great joy in jumping off the chair and into Oma's arms.
Miles in the Bili bed while we were in the hospital.
Getting ready
Breille was SO cute. She would push her nose against the bassinet and say, "Hi baby!"
No comments:
Post a Comment