Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentines Couples Dinner

After hosting a Valentines dinner last year I had some of the couples ask me if I was planning on doing it again. Since we didn't do our Halloween party last year this was a great excuse to have a party. Besides, I really did enjoy the smaller group of adults.
My friend Chankia wanted to help and did a wonderful job keeping me on track and focused. She was nice enough to contact the couples and give them their assignments as well as help with the time consuming decor.
I have wanted to do the Minute to Win it game with a group since the summer. I originally had the idea for the Taylor family reunion we were in charge of but it never happen. I figured this party was the perfect time to do it. I already had games picked out and just needed to gather all the props. Thankfully I didn't have to spend too much money on the props because the game calls for a lot of household items. I went onto u-tube and found all the clips to the games we were going to play (it's nice to have a visual idea).
I must admit it's a little more stressful having 2 kids and planning a party. I found I had a few challenges balancing everything. Chankia came over the day before the party and we spent most the morning cutting out hearts. I was supposed to go shopping for the last minute items Friday but that got pushed onto Saturday (kids napped at different times....of course).
Saturday morning I originally planned on getting everything done but my sister-in-law brought her kids from out of town and wanted to do breakfast. I didn't get started on the party until about 2. I was in panic mode a little cause I still needed to go shopping and set up the decorations.
My parents dropped off some decorations and were nice enough to help out a little. The biggest help was taking the kids to Erin's so we could really focus. That was huge! I must say I am VERY grateful for family and their willingness to help.
We managed to pull it all together before everyone came.


Heck my Dad was willing to help vacuum while he waited for my mom. Thanks DAD!
Chanika created an e-vite to all the couples and stated the attire was formal wear. The night I read the invite to Matt he asked what exactly "formal" wear meant and looked it up. To be completely honest I forget Chanika even stated what the attire should be and just threw on clothes. It wasn't until I opened the door and saw Molly in a dress did I think, "oh crap, I forgot Chanika said formal wear." Luckily Shawn dropped Molly off and ran to the store so while he was gone Matt ran upstairs and got dressed in a suit. We didn't want them to feel too uncomfortable.
Jolley's won the best dressed couple of the evening
We did a potluck style dinner and we provided the main dish: steak and heart shaped pasta with homemade sauce. We did the same thing last year and it was a hit. I must say I think my pasta was old or something because it didn't taste very good, and I didn't like my sauce as much this year. I was disappointed a little but everyone seemed to still enjoy it. The food and drinks everyone brought was so good. The dynamics of the group was different this year and it was fun to see the difference. I have enjoyed both groups.
Two of our couples had a babysitter till 8 so we had to really move things along. Right after dinner I gathered everyone in the living room to watch the u-tube Minute to Win it video clips. Then we went into the front room to play.
Another confession: it was more challenging then expected and some games worked better then others. I think I stressed myself out a little becuase I knew we were on a time limit.  However everyone was a great sport and we still enjoyed ourselves.
On the rebound game: bounce a ping pong ball off a clipboard attached to your partner and land it in the wastebasket below.
Yank Me: Contestant must place index cards between fours stack plastic cups to form a tower than yank the cards out causing the cups to collapse into a stack

This blows:
Web ExclusKnock 15 cups off the table--using only the air expelled from the balloon you blow up.

Nose Dive: Contestant must transfer 5  cotton balls, one at a time, from one serving bowl to another many feet away using only the nose. Vaseline on the tip of the contestant's nose is used as a transfer agent.



Face the cookie : Using only their face, contestants must move Oreo cookies individually from their foreheads to their mouths. (total of 2)

Didn't stop to think how dirty this game was. Nothing like having oreo crumbs all over your face!
Noodling Around: Pick up six penne noodles placed around the perimeter of a table using only a piece of uncooked spaghetti in your mouth
We were down to two contestants and one game left. I decided that whoever pops the most balloons in a minute wins. This was the best game of the night. Once the clock started Chanika became this pistol that went sprinting across the room and body slamming Chris. It was so surprising and funny to watch that we were all crying because we were laughing so hard. Needless to say the Mccombs won.
I was happy we were able to finish all the games and got dessert before everyone had to leave. It was a fun night and were so grateful for everyone who helped and participated. This evening would not have turned out without all of you.

No comments: