Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sierra Safari Zoo

On Monday we wanted to do something fun with Brielle. We were going to go to Truckee to check out the children's museum but its close to the public on Mondays. Matt suggested we go to the Zoo. We called Julie up and she came with Tyler and Brookie.

From my understanding the Sierra Safari Zoo has been in Reno for years (like 20 years), but I don't recall ever going. For field trips we always went to Animal Ark out in Red Rock. The weather was suppose to clear up but it didn't. The closer we drove to the zoo, the darker the clouds became and the more snow we saw. However, it is Nevada so the snow comes and goes as well as the sun. Matt went in to find out if they were going to stay open (due to yucky weather) and found out that some of the animals were not out (the monkeys, alligator, birds). It kinda sounded like half the animals were not available to see. We debated in the truck for some time but Tyler really wanted to go, so we thought we would try it out.

I am so glad we did. Don't get me wrong, it was DANG cold and I was wishing I had brought Brielle's gloves. When we first walked out they had several peacocks. I thought they were caged in but before we knew it, they were out walking the path with us. Tyler and Brookie feed them, and lost their cone with the food to one of the peacocks. I must say, I was impressed with how many animals they had in such a small space. Off the top of my head I remember petting the deer, seeing mountain goats and a baby, baboons, tigers and lions, zebra, snakes, lynx, camel, bobcat and some others. Brielle really liked it and would "meow" every time the peacocks would cry out. When she saw the deer she thought they were sheep and would would say "baa." It was a fun morning. When we were done we jumped in the truck to see if we could go to Animal Ark, but we discovered they are closed on Mondays. When the weather is nicer I will be visiting both places again.
Brielle was excited for multiple reasons, one to be outside and two to be around animals.
We were going to feed the deer too but this peacock stole the food, it was fun watching Brookie and Tyler. Brielle was ok watching from afar.
The deer are so use to being fed they come running to the gate when you first walk in, it kinda freaked Tyler out.

Matt, Brielle, Brookie and Tyler
By this point we were picking up the pace because it was COLD!
Tyler, Brielle, myself and Brookie in front of the baboons. One of the workers were around and the male was getting very excited.
I had to be careful, this deer really liked Brielle's coat.

No comments: