Mom, Danielle,Brielle, Erin and Matt on the plane
Erin pulled an all nighter and was a little tired and remained in pleasant mood
Our first stop was Hannibal which is Mark Twain's stompin grounds where we stayed in a bed and breakfast. Erin was supposed to sleep in my parents room however we worked out a deal with the owner to let Erin have her own room because the TV in the rooms were not working. Brielle slept in the bed with us. We had a king so we just put pillows all around her. I didn't sleep very well (never do when Brielle is in bed with us). In fact I woke up in the middle of the night freakin out thinking Brielle was not breathing and ended up screaming her name and trying to wake her up. (I didn't even do this when she was first born). I think I was too tired I had worked Thursday, Friday then Sunday, Monday and we left Tuesday.
The little town of Hannibal was really cool. It is neat to see really old buildings being occupied by modern day stores. The whole town is centered around Mark Twain. They had the flood gates closed because the Mississippi was so high.
The first night we arrived we went on the Mark Twain river boat dinner cruise. It was so fun to be on the Mississippi River. The dinner was pretty basic but we were all so hungry (because we hadn't eaten all day long) that it tasted really good.
The Mississippi River is enormous with dirty murky water and tons of tree logs floating down
Brielle thought she should be part of the boat crew.
Mom, Danielle, Erin, Matt and Brielle at the table for dinner.
They had an entertainer that was pretty good. We loved sitting on the deck, looking at the beautifully scenery around us and listening to him play and sing. Brielle was pretty entertained too.
I love this picture of Erin. This is often the look she gets on her face when she is watching Brielle. Brielle brings so much joy into our lives.
Brielle needed a snack and thought her toes tasted pretty good.
The sunset was amazing and I am so glad I was able to have this experience on the Mississippi River. I was expecting more bugs but there wasn't that many. I was really surprised.
The flag on Lovers Leap. It's like a Romeo and Juliet story. Legend has it they jumped off the ledge so they could stay together. The flag was placed as a memorial for the victims of September 11th.
More pictures of us hanging out, watching the sunset and relaxing after traveling all day.
Picture of our bed and breakfast dining area.
Here we are at Inspiration Point. It sure was a pretty lookout place.
Had to take a picture of this billboard. Erin spotted it during our trolley ride around Hannibal. We liked it so much we drove back to take a picture. There were a few other billboards that were pretty creative.
This weekend special was pretty funny. Erin about died. If you can't read it is says, "Week End Special Frog Legs"

This is a quilt. I was so impressed with the handwork that I took a picture. You know many hours were put into this.
This is a quilt. I was so impressed with the handwork that I took a picture. You know many hours were put into this.
These picture were taken at Mark Twain's Cave.
Here we are in Mark Twain's cave. We bundled up thinking it was going to be really cold and it wasn't, it stays 52 degrees year round. The cave was different from other caves I had been it. It was a dry cave with spacious walking space and level. In fact they gave us a stroller to push Brielle around. They have a spot that they encourage people to sit and listen to the tour guide. Throughout the cave are peoples drawing and signatures. There are also black marks from where the bats hang out.
This cardinal was so pretty.


We were fortunate enough to stay with Uncle Craig and Aunt Phyllis in their home which is for temple missionaries only (located in Old Nauvoo). It was awesome! Brielle took her first sink bath and loved spending time there. It was at their home where I saw my first wild possum and fireflies.
We went on a carriage ride and a wagon ride. The wagon ride takes you around Old Nauvoo and describes different sites while the carriage ride takes you on the outskirt of town. The carriage ride was my favorite, it was a litte cloudy and stormy and so peaceful and green. It was beautiful country and you gained an understanding on what the land was like before the early saints developed it.
chillin on a log on the Mississippi River (Erin, Danielle and Matt)
On warm sunny days animals come out and sunbath. If you look close there are turtles all along this log. There were a lot more but the closer we got they started jumping off the log.
Poor girl was so tired she slumped over and fell asleep.
We went to the Old Cathage Jail where the Prophet Joseph Smith was mataryed. Looking at the photo I am using my fingers to indicate where there are bullet holes (however not the best picture of me!) I am so glad we were able to visit this sacred spot. I learned a lot during the tour too!
Out next stop was Nauvoo. We got there just in time to scurry up to the temple and watch the sunset. We did this every night we were there. It was magical watching the sun set and the beautiful colors that we would be painted onto the sky, and the peacefulness of being on the temple grounds looking over Old Nauvoo. It just brings chills to me every time I think about it. I love this place. There was a special spirit in Nauvoo. I was able to do 3 days of temple work Day 1 baptisms and confirmations. The font was HUGE it's like a swimming pool. If you wanted you could perform 2 baptism at the same time without a problem. The oxen are made out of limestone, i thas red brick floors, and the glass is from France where each pane is hand blown. My mom was very kind and stayed home with Brielle while Dad, Matt Erin and I went the first day. It was crazy one of the names I did for baptism the birth or death date was in the year 15 hundred. I have never seen one that old. There is a spiral staircase that goes from the baptistery up to the fifth floor. It was a beautiful sight and fun to walk. Day 2 sealings and endowment session (which is AMAZING!) and Uncle Craig took us around to every floor and showed us different things about the temple. Day 3 more sealings and another session. I must say the Nauvoo Temple is my favorite!! I am so grateful for everyone who stayed with the baby and allowed me to have such marvelous experiences in the Temple. The rest of the time we ran around Old Nauvoo looking at all the historical sites. I am so glad we went. I wasn't sure how much I would really appreciate being there but I often found myself thinking about the early Saints and their dedication to the Lord, Prophet and Church. I have a new found respect for the early Saints and different outlook on life after being there.
The Prophets Last Ride statue
The first night we went up to the temple grounds we were standing in front of the Temple. I kept trying to take pictures with Brielle while the lightening was still good. It was amazing, no matter what we did she would not stop looking at the temple. Her eyes were drawn to it. I know she recognized the spirit and felt very peaceful.
We were fortunate enough to stay with Uncle Craig and Aunt Phyllis in their home which is for temple missionaries only (located in Old Nauvoo). It was awesome! Brielle took her first sink bath and loved spending time there. It was at their home where I saw my first wild possum and fireflies.
The apartment wasn't very big but we made it work. With a little rearrainging of their furniture we layed down air mattress for all of us. Brielle slept on the couch next to me and it work out wonderfully.
This was one of the first times Brielle turned from her stomach to her back. I don't know what is is about trips but she seems to do new things (I think she likes to show off)
Matt and Brielle are looking at one of the original sun stones from the Nauvoo temple.
Different statues that are in the Relief Society Garden at the Visitors Center.
We went on a carriage ride and a wagon ride. The wagon ride takes you around Old Nauvoo and describes different sites while the carriage ride takes you on the outskirt of town. The carriage ride was my favorite, it was a litte cloudy and stormy and so peaceful and green. It was beautiful country and you gained an understanding on what the land was like before the early saints developed it.
chillin on a log on the Mississippi River (Erin, Danielle and Matt)
On warm sunny days animals come out and sunbath. If you look close there are turtles all along this log. There were a lot more but the closer we got they started jumping off the log.
Poor girl was so tired she slumped over and fell asleep.
We went to the Old Cathage Jail where the Prophet Joseph Smith was mataryed. Looking at the photo I am using my fingers to indicate where there are bullet holes (however not the best picture of me!) I am so glad we were able to visit this sacred spot. I learned a lot during the tour too!
We were able to go on the oxen ride and pet the oxen. The early Saints liked oxen because they were mild mannered and could eat an assortment of food.
It doesn't matter where you are, when you are a member of the church it's not uncommon to find someone you know. We know this missionaries daughter and family, they are in our ward. We also met the Davis family at the Brick house and the daughter and second cousin of Darrell Foote. What a small world!
Part of the outskirts of old Nauvoo. It was so pretty and from here you could look straight across and see the Temple.
Another sunset on the Temple grounds looking across the city and the Mississippi River.
We were able to hit a couple of shows while we were there in Nauvoo. There was a Hawaiian family that came and put on a show before the missionaries Sunset show. Both shows were very entertaining. We were amazed at how hard the site missionaries had to work. They have 7:00am missionary meeting every morning then have to be to their sites at 8:30 go all day and then they have to perform in a show. It takes a lot of stanima and memorization skills to do what they do.
There is a grave that is a few miles away from old Nauvoo that the early Saints used. Majority of these graves contain children. The statue is a representation of a family that just layed to rest one of there children. It's amazing anyone lived beyond childhood.Our next stop was Springfield, Illinios. Here is Brielle's first introduction to swimming.
We did make it in the water but not for very long. She wasn't too sure about it and she was too tired.
Springfield is Ab Lincoln's stompin grounds. This Presidental Museum was AMAZING! it was so high tech and the artifacts were so neat to see. He was quite the man.
Lincolns family mixed with our family.
My moms best friend and husband now live in Decatur, Illionis. We were able to visit their home and go to dinner. It was fun being able to see them.
The resturant they took us too was called Ted's Garage. It was so fun. The whole resturant was car garage theme as you can tell by the menu. The food was good and the company was great.
We were able to go to President Lincoln's tomb. The whole memorial site was a specticular site to see.
It was Erin's Birthday so we did some shopping at a mall. We also found some toys and a courisal ride that Brielle really liked. 
Happy 21st Birthday Erin! We had a yummy dinner at Olive Garden.Last stop was St. Louis and the arch. The arch is HUGE and I didn't realize we could go to the top and look down.
Mom, Dad, Erin, Matt and Brielle all lined up at the windows looking down. We are 630 feet above ground.
Here is part of St. Louis They have different meusums inside the arch. Look I think Matt and I balance each out!
I think this speaks for itself!On the way home we flew over the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. It was so cool to see. It wasn't until later I got the thought to pull out my camera and see what pictures I could obtain. Here are a few shots from our airplane ride home.
No comments:
Post a Comment