Wednesday, March 18, 2009

FIRE!

So today was an exciting day. First time in history my Grandpa's field caught on fire (and no it was not a controlled burn). I was at my parents house when the door bell rang. When I went to answer it no one was there. I thought we were being door bell ditched but then heard some noise. I found Justin (a guy working on the extension of the house) saying, "never mind I found the hose." I didn't know what he meant until I looked up a little and saw the fire. I turned on the water and then tried to help put out the fire. We discovered the hose wasn't long enough so I ran to the back of the house and grabbed some more hose. By the time I made it back to the the field the fire had really spread. I decided to call the fire department. I was really surprised how many people showed up: News channel 2, spectators, Sparks P.D. and both Reno and Sparks fire trucks. The news anchor beat everyone there and then the cop showed, and the fire trucks took forever. By the time they got there the fire was out and it was just smoldering. Thank goodness Maryanne Mooney (the neighbor) pulled out her hose and stopped the fire from spreading south; she also saved the two trucks that were parked. Before the firemen left I asked if Brielle could take some pictures with them. They told me the cutest firemen needed to take the picture. Brielle did great even though she was starving. Below are the pictures of the excitement.
The firetruck just showed up

The fire was started by Maynard's lawnmower.

Everyone is working on getting the fire out

If you look close you can still see the smoke behind Erin and Brielle

The firemen just pulled out their shovels not their hoses
The final result: approx 2500ft was burned
The cute firefighter and Brielle inside the firetruck

Brielle and I
Sparks firefighter playing with Brielle

2 comments:

AdaMandy said...

I'm so glad you got it out. As crappy as that situation was, you got some great pics! What a cute little firegirl she makes.

MaloyMayhem said...

Sounds crazy. I'll have to come see Brielle, and you guys, after I start living in Fernley next month. Although, it sounds like you will be in Illinois for a while in May. If you haven't been before, you are in for a treat.

Vern