
Now that I have a baby I have been told that I need to start a blog. So I am going to act like I know what I am doing and try this blog thing. I have hesitated because I didn't have a computer that worked very well and my Internet was slow. However, for Christmas Matt bought me a new computer and the Internet isn't that slow. Anyone that has suggestions on improving my blog, don't hesitate to say so.
Just a brief synopsis of what has occurred over the last 5 weeks. Brielle Anita Taylor was born Nov. 29, 2008 at 5:44 PM after 22 hours of labor. Why Brielle? I wanted to call her Bri but I didn't want a name that was very common. One day I was looking at names and the meaning on the Internet. Brielle means God is my might. It was perfect! It's also Hebrew and the name of a town in the Netherlands. Why Anita? That is my middle name and my mother's name.

The day I went into labor my day consisted of waking up at 4:00AM and not falling back asleep. Matt and I finally got up at 6:00 and went shopping with my mother (it was black Friday). We shopped till noon and attempted a nap. After failing to fall asleep we went to the arcade in Grand Sierra so Matt, some family and friends could play laser tag, since it was Matt's birthday. I stayed behind and watched 5 nieces and nephews under the age of 5. I think it helped jump start things. We ran to IN
& OUT for dinner and went to the movie theater. We were going to try to watch Madagascar with all my cousins but my water broke a few steps before I sat down. What a weird experience. I thought it might be a little trickle and then it stops. Boy was I wrong. It was gushing like a dam that just broke. Luckily I was wearing black pants and you couldn't tell. I couldn't believe my water had broke. I wasn't dilated and hadn't had a single contraction. I knew my labor wasn't going to be very short. I wanted to stay and watch the movie but every 5 seconds Matt would turn to ask if I was OK and then preceded to say, "We need to go to the hospital." Approximately 10 minutes into the movie I decided we better go home because we hadn't packed yet for the hospital. So we went home. On the freeway Matt called everyone in his family to tell them my water had broke. His dad freaked out and told Matt we needed to go straight to the hospital (he is use to his wife, where the water would break and the baby came with it). When we did get home Matt ran around frantically trying to pack while I sat on the toilet leaking. I didn't want to go to the hospital because knew I was going to get hooked up to monitors and my movement was going to be restricted but I kept leaking, I knew the baby was still high and I thought it would be best to be monitored until she was engaged, and I didn't want to get an infection. I sent a text message to my dad to tell them I was going to the hospital.
When we did make it to the hospital I went to visit my friends on postpartum and my co-worker who had just had a baby. I finally made it to labor and delivery where I was shown to my room (a large private room and many items were broken) and put the hospital gown on. It was a really weird experience for me to be the patient. It was interesting the feelings I had associated with being a patient. I kept thinking, "so this is the perspective of my patients." I think it was really good for me to experience
because I gained a greater appreciation for my role as a nurse and understood the view of a patient better. The nurse did a cervical check to get a baseline. I was shocked
when she said I was dilated to a 1 and placed me at like 60% effaced. They hooked me up to the external monitor and I was all ready to have a baby! Some time had passed and Matt's sister Julie came and braided my hair. I had always
told her when I had a baby I wanted her to come and do my hair. My parents and sister also made it. Everyone was one a natural high, full of excitement. I was feeling fine: no pain and no contractions. My mother started documenting EVERYTHING. We all laughed at her but now I am very grateful because I have times on when everything occurred. I need to find the papers and will correct any wrong times I have included so far.
Julie and my dad left and we dimmed the lights in the room. T
he TV remained off and everyone was just settling in for the night. My brother, Brian, and sister-in-law, Crystal, came from California and arrived at the hospital about 1 AM and stayed till 2:30ish and visited for awhile. By then I was "in the zone" and it felt best to keep my eyes closed.
Both Matt and Mom were very attentive to me. Matt loved to watch the monitor during contractions, and help me go to my "happy place" or breath through them. The down fall of being so attentive is none of use slept.
We were getting pretty tired. I wasn't progressing very much, in fact that night I was only dilated to a 2. The nurse would check up on me about every hour.
Later that morning all my family was there until the birth. There voices remained quite and the room remained dark. It made the environment very peaceful. The family went in shifts to eat. They had to stay out of the room with food since I was not allowed to eat anything but water and broth.
I wanted a natural birth but I finally gave in and got an epidural after 19 hours. I was just too tired to keep going because I hadn't slept which meant I was not handling the pain very well. I was dilated to about a 5. My mom stayed in the room with me during the placement of the epidural.
I started to cry because I was scared to get an epidural and I was sad I wasn't going to have a natural birth. The anesthesiologist was fantastic: He talked me through the process, encouraged me to stay calm, and frequently checked up on me until the epidural took affect. Let me tell you how fantastic epidurals are. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?! I don't know if I will ever go natural because the pain relief I received was blessed. It took about an hour or so to take effect but afterwards it was SO heavenly. I thought I would fall asleep afterward but I caught my second wind and floating on cloud 9. Being SO numb is the oddest feeling. I felt like a rag doll because I had NO control over my legs. I would try to move a leg and it wouldn't move. The afternoon was fun. I was back interacting with my family. Around 4 PM my dad was inquiring if we were going to have a baby or not (I think he was getting tired of just "hanging around") I was really wondering myself but didn't care because I was feeling so good. All I cared about was making enough progression so I wouldn't have to have a Cesarean Section.
Around five the nurse came because she was on the phone with the doctor and wanted an update. Everyone was still in the room except for Crystal (who was on her way back from picking up dinner for everyone). I asked Brian and Dad to step out for a moment. I wasn't expecting any big news but the nurse checked me and said, "IT IS TIME!" I couldn't believe it. She started to get everything ready so things were in order when the doc came.
Brian left to help Crystal with the food and hadn't heard the news. Erin's cell phone rang and I didn't want her to answer it but luckily she saw it was Brain calling. He said labor and delivery wouldn't let them in. My mom marched out of the room and went and got them. The nurse was very hesitant to have so many people in the room: Brian, Crystal, Erin, Mom, Dad and Matt. I told her they would be fine and would stay out of the way. Shortly after the doctor came in with his coffee, asked if everyone was staying and the fun began. He asked if anyone wanted to deliver the baby. There was a moment of hesitation and then Matt said SURE! I couldn't believe what I was hearing because he always said he didn't want to be in the room when I delivered and now he wants to deliver her!
Brielle's birth was a magical moment. I only had to push for 30 minutes.
As soon as she crowned Matt delivered her. Once her shoulders and torso were out Matt lifted her towards me and I delivered the rest of her. I placed her on my chest, where she stayed.
Matt also cut the cord. It was everything I could have hoped and dreamed of. There are no words that could describe the excitement I had. I loved that Matt and I delivered her and she was able to stay on my chest. They eventually took her off my chest and cleaned her up and did her measurements. It wasn't very long until she was back in daddy's arms.
I was very happy I was able to share the moment with my family, it has brought us so close. Some of the highlights of my birthing were being able to deliver like I was at home, but being in the hospital. Having wonderful nurses that took great care of me: They tried to keep to my birthing plan, they were very attentive to my needs, and the allowed my family to stay in the room (it helped that I was a little aggressive about wanting that). I LOVED the on call doctor, Dr. Chotiner. I am so grateful he was relaxed during the delivery, cracked jokes, and allowed Matt and I to deliver Brielle. He even did a nice job with my episotomy. 
As soon as she crowned Matt delivered her. Once her shoulders and torso were out Matt lifted her towards me and I delivered the rest of her. I placed her on my chest, where she stayed.
I was very happy I was able to share the moment with my family, it has brought us so close. Some of the highlights of my birthing were being able to deliver like I was at home, but being in the hospital. Having wonderful nurses that took great care of me: They tried to keep to my birthing plan, they were very attentive to my needs, and the allowed my family to stay in the room (it helped that I was a little aggressive about wanting that). I LOVED the on call doctor, Dr. Chotiner. I am so grateful he was relaxed during the delivery, cracked jokes, and allowed Matt and I to deliver Brielle. He even did a nice job with my episotomy. 
When she was first born she looked just like Matt: two dimples, almond shape eyes, her nose, and ears, shape of her eye socket with her eyebrows and eyelashes. The only facial feature I thought I could claim was her lips. However, that night the swelling went down and so did her lips. They are just like her daddy's. Her body was long and skinny, as well as her fingers and feet. Her skin complexion was beautiful, soft ivory flawless skin. She changes everyday and is gaining on average 2 oz a day. She is starting to fill out and her eye color came in blue. Her eyelashes are getting longer and she is starting to kinda look like me just a little. She loves to smile and show off her dimples. She has a very calm temper, in fact people always ask me if she ever cries. She is a very alert baby, even the doctor comments on how alert she is.
We stayed two nights at the hospital. I always thought I would go home right at 24 hours but I didn't feel ready. I was glad I stayed one more night because by morning I was defiantly ready to go home. While we were there we had family and friends visit. It was nice to celebrate with them.
My milk came in a couple of days later and I got engorged. That was not a pleasant experience. Luckily my mom was there to rescue me. She got the pump ready and Matt and I were trying to find a bottle nipple she liked. Breille was hungry and confused. We made it through the night and now we know what nipple she will take. My little sister was a trooper and stayed many nights with me. After getting engorged I had to pump every 2 hours through the night. Erin would get up and help me with the pump and then do the clean up. She would take the baby after feedings so I could get a couple hours of sleep. She saved me many times.
We have had a few good laughs. Shortly after bringing Brielle home I was visiting with my mother-in-law and I needed to change her. She was so small at the time and hadn't pooped I would just change her on my lap. Therefore I proceeded to change her on my lap. As soon as I took off the diaper and wiped her bottom she started pooping all over my pants. I put my hand underneath to try to catch it so I wouldn't have such a mess on my pants. It was very entertaining as I had poop all over my hands and pants. I didn't have another diaper or many wipes around me. Luckily Matt was there and we got everything cleaned up. I have been pooped on a couple more times since then but I did learn a lesson: don't change her diaper on my lap without a pad. Matt was counting his lucky stars because he hadn't been pooped on. However his lucky stars ran out Christmas morning. Brielle gave him a wonderful Christmas present. Around 6:30 AM Matt was changing her diaper. When he went to put on a new diaper she pooped. It was a direct shot at his face and all down his shirt, on the bed and headboard. It was everywhere! I started laughing so hard I was crying. I wish I could rewind time and take a picture. Matt was desperate to get it off him so I hurried and helped clean Brielle and him up.
The Christmas season was very busy with family being in town. We were getting very tired trying to keep up with everyone while still figuring out what motherhood was all about. I quickly discovered how hard it is to shop with her. I can only go a couple hours before she is done.
Once I thought we were getting things down and she was sleeping on average 5 hours a night, we had a little hiccup. December 30th I developed several abdominal pain. It was so bad I finally decided to go to ER. Matt and I spent the night in ER while my Mom and Erin took care of Brielle. Around 6:00 I received the diagnosis of appendicitis and was in surgery an hour later. December 31st at AM in was getting my appendix out and by 2PM that day I was home. I had to pump and dump for 24 hours because of the IV and oral contrast I had for the CT scan. This experience was a challenge for me because I has so sad to be away from my baby and I couldn't feed her. New Years Eve night my mom stayed up with her while Matt and I got a full night sleep. It was such a blessing. Mom said Brielle was wide awake most the night so she thought she was going to ring in the new year with her. Mom started the count down for the new year at 15 seconds and by the time she hit midnight Brielle fell asleep. She ended up celebrating quietly by herself.
I am defiantly glad we are past that and I am back to feeding and loving on my baby. We are out of routine now. She wont go to bed unless I am holding her. If she wakes up she wants to be held. I am hoping this is just a phase.
Our latest adventure was Saturday night, January 3rd. Matt, Brielle, Erin and I were in my car while my parents were following behind us. We were going to my cousins Rusty's wedding reception. We were on the freeway when our car just stopped working. We were able to pull off to the side and start it again, just long enough to make it to the off ramp. We ended up towing it to my parents until we have the money to fix it. Looks like we are a one car family for awhile.
Oops I almost forgot. We blessed Brielle December 28th, 2008. It was a beautiful blessing and we had lot of family that came and supported her. We had a lovely luncheon at my house afterwards. I am waiting for pictures from my brother and then I will post them.
Well I think I am going to like this blogging idea. It's great to take take some time and write down events that have occurred.

3 comments:
Danielle, looks great! Keep writing. Love you!
Hurray for the taylor blog! I do love that present pic. Let me know if I can help you do anything else.
Welcome to the blogging world!! Love the blog! Love the stories. Its great to get an update on how you guys are doing. And I love hearing (or reading) peoples' labor and delivery stories. And the appendicitis! Bless your heart. How horrible, let alone with a newborn. Glad you are doing well now. Sucks being so far apart from each other. Can't wait to meet Brielle.
Post a Comment