Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Monterey

Last year for Christmas I gave Matt a 'Monterey get away' present. He has never been there and I have some great memories of it. A big perk to the trip was the free place we were offered (thanks to a friend who offered her house). We kept trying to go but things weren't working out. I finally put my foot down and worked with my friend until we found a date that worked. We were going to go down and stay at the house the week they were on their honeymoon. The bummer part was it was that weekend right after Thanksgiving (so no Black Friday shoppin...sad). However I was willing to sacrifice my shopping so we could go. It was either we go that weekend or not at all. Come to find out we were going to miss Rachelle taking out her endowments (which we felt really bad about, but didn't know until after we set the plans).

We took off the day after Thanksgiving early because snow was forecasted for that afternoon. We still hit some intense rain but we made it safely. Brielle did great traveling, I think it helped to have Auntie Erin in the back helping her out.

The first thing we did was head to the house (to make sure we knew where it was) and then we headed over to our neighbors (who happen to be there the same time) parents house. They had invited us to go with them to the Christmas tree lighting. Their house was close enough we could walk down. It was pretty chilly (the wind didn't help) so I bundled Brielle up and we took off.



Check out all the sea lions lying on the beach.

There was a live reindeer in front of Bubba Gumps. There was also a shrimp (Brielle couldn't get enough of it). So we took a picture with him (look at Brielle just stare)


Matt trying on Forrest Gump's shoes.

They had this really cute band that walked around and played. Brielle loved the music so we followed them around for awhile.

Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree

Our neighbors took us down to the pier where they have clam chowder wars. We walked the pier and ate free samples all night. They were so good and Brielle liked it too. We were getting full and still had dinner waiting at home for us (thanks to Michelle's parents).

We were happy girls!

I took some pictures of the place we were staying. It was amazing. They had a cactus garden, the house was a historical site (the oldest building in the city). It was nice to have a free place to stay.

We knew this walking path well because we were back and forth from the truck to the house so much.

Look what we discovered while walking around the property, cool huh?

Brielle in front of the house.

Erin is standin next to the front door and Matt and Brielle were on a little adventure.

We were luckily enough to get free aquarium passes so we were able to go a couple of times. It was a good thing because the first time wasn't too successful. There were a lot of people (being Thanksgiving weekend) and Brielle wasn't too sure of it. Too new for her. But the second time we went was Monday morning first thing. It was like it was our own, no one was there. Brielle responded a lot better and LOVED the kids area. We were able to really explore the aquarium and just enjoy ourselves. We watched the otters being feed ( they only had two at the time which was kinda a bummer) and ran all over the aquarium.

Would have never guessed there were sea horses like this. They had a sea horse section that was amazing.

Also love the giant jellyfish. The display is spectacular!

Brielle feeling a star fish for the first time

They have this kid section that is amazing and so fun for the little ones. Brielle enjoyed exploring all the different sections.

WOW look at that wall with water and bubbles and fun colored animals!

3 perfect pearls!

When you are in Monterey you have to do the 17 mile drive. Matt thought he would drive and explore a little (to check out houses) and we ended up leaving the drive and had to explain to the security people we took the wrong turn. Oops. It was a good day to go because it was windy and chilly and Brielle napped through a lot of it.

On our drive along the coast we saw more sea lions playing in the water.

There is the birthday boy himself. While we were in Monterey we celebrated both Matt and Brielle's bday.

Taking pictures were hard because the sun was so bright, but we managed to get a couple in. I am looking a little stiff but really I was trying to keep warm.

Near the end of the drive Brielle woke up and we were able to explore the different stopping points. The wind died down which made for better weather.

Smile!

I love this picture. I think it's because Matt is chillin on the beach on the phone with Brielle next to him exploring the sand. It appears that we do this ALL the time, HA!

I couldn't take enough pictures while we were at the beach. It was SO fun and Brielle loved it.

It was a tad chilly but your feet would go numb and then it didn't matter. Brielle didn't seem to mind either.

I wonder if she is thinking "What is on my hands???"

Brielle wasn't sure of the water at first but it didn't take her long to warm up to it.

Needless to say we ended up with a very sandy and wet little girl.

We stayed until the sunset. I have the best memories of this beach from high school and I wanted to share the moment with my family. So glad I did because it was BEAUTIFUL!



Brielle waving at the people passing by.

Watching the sun go down

By the time we were done Brielle was cold and her feet were hurting her. She didn't like getting cleaned up but was happy to be warm and have socks on her feet.

The next day was Brielle's birthday so we decided to go for another drive. We ended up driving down the coast into Big Sur and back. It was such a beautiful drive. This also allowed Brielle to take a good nap wich meant a happy baby.

I love my man!

We enjoyed having Erin on our trip. She was a big help with Brielle and we always enjoy her company.

After our drive I really wanted to go to a beach that I could find some sand dollars. I figured low tide was the best time so we went during the afternoon. We had talked to our neighbors parents to find out which beach to hit in order to be successful. We ate our lunch there and walked the beach. Brielle loved the beach. We couldn't get her shoes and socks off fast enough before she was running straight into the water. We learned from out last experience to take off her pants, hoping she would stay a little warmer.

She was one happy clam

I found this rocky area which was a jackpot spot for sand dollars which made me pretty happy. I also found some beautiful shells walking the beach. I kinda abandonded my family for a little while I was exploring for shells and sand dollars which didn't make them too happy.

This beach had a ton of sea animals-one of them were the otters.
This picture is actually a ton of butterflies clumped together. Monterey has a beautiful grove that the butterflies love to gather each year.

Erin looking for wildlife while waiting for the sun to set.

We headed toward a couple people that looked like they were checking something out. Sure enough they had found a star fish. (sorry for the very over exposed picture)

We found our own sea enemie

Matt and Brielle were able to join us once Brielle woke up from her nap. We had to show her the star fish.

Our last night in Monterey.

Watch out too much sea breeze can get to your head!

The whole time we were there we kept talking about walking Lover's Point. I guess it's better late then never. Who cares if it's in the dark. During this walked Erin reminded us that I was in intense labor and Brielle was about to join our little family. It was so fun reminscing about my delivery with Brielle. It was one of the best moments in my life and I was surrounded by people who loved me. I can't believe how much my life has changed in just a year, and not to mention how much Brielle has changed.

I mentioned earlier that we hit the Aquairum a couple times. We still had the holiday schedule times for opening and closing, so much to our surprise we had to wait for it to open. We spent our time waiting looking out in the kelp bed and finding otters. The waves were also crashing up onto the deck so we had fun watching how high the splash would go. Brielle loved sitting in her stroller and watching the waves.

Do you see anyone around?? Brielle is trying to touch the sting ray.

There weren't really any kids around so Brielle had time to herself to explore the kids section.

I think Brielle makes a cute sea horse.

Here fishy, fishy!

We added a new sea horse to the family. Do you see it?

On our way out. Thanks to our great friends for letting us borrow the aquarium passes. We had a great time!

On our way outta town we stopped at the Dennis the Menance park. It's a huge public park. We ate our lunch in the parking lot and then played for a little bit.

Matt found his fun toy.

Erin, Brielle and Matt swinging
Heading out of town. See you later Monetery! We love this city and had a great time.

No comments: