Sunday, September 4, 2011

One tough week

I must say I have had hard days but this week I think tops them all. It all started with Miles getting sick while we were camping. At first we thought it was something he ate but then he barfed 7 times while we were still camping (my first kid to barf!) and once we got home spiked a fever. He barfed one more time that night which made me wish we were still camping (due to the easy clean up). Poor kid didn't have an appetite but would keep the fluids down.
The next day, I stayed home from church with him and we were both able to take a nap (that was SUPER nice). By Monday he had not thrown up since Saturday night and he was now having the runs. I was hopeful the bug was exciting his system. He appeared to have some appetite and wanted some of my frosted mini wheats. I gave him a few bites and he was done. I didn't think much about it but as I was washing him up, he threw up again. However at the time I had a towel and was about to wipe his mouth so the vomit met the towel and splashed it EVERYWHERE. All over the microwave, stove, and floor. Luckily it was in the kitchen and Miles didn't require me to hold him, so the clean up was easy. I ended up taking him to the doctor that morning cause he kept falling. I know he has only been walking for a couple of months, but this was not my Miles. I was afraid something was wrong and it was affecting his balance. But he is fine. If I ever question his balance again I need to sit him down and see how stable he is. It was nice to talk with Dr. Zucker anyway, he provided me with some good information about dehydration and a better diet list. I swear I feel incompetent as a nurse sometimes.

Starting Sunday morning, as Miles was feeling better, it was SUPER hard to eat while he was around. I was paranoid to give him anything but liquid and certain types of food like crackers. It never failed that he want everything we were eating and became very upset that we wouldn't give it to him. I found myself not eating so I wouldn't upset him.
I was supposed to work Wednesday and Thursday this week but with Miles still SUPER clingy, and not eating much, still running a little fever and fussy I decided to call in sick for work on Wednesday. I made that decision early Tuesday and felt good about it but by that night he seemed to be doing A LOT better just clingy.
Wednesday early afternoon my stomach had a dull ache, it was like my stomach was in knots. I figured I had not eaten much for breakfast and hadn't had lunch. However, lunch didn't help it feel any better. That discomfort in my tummy stayed with me the rest of the day. As the day progressed my body started to ache like I had a temperature. The weird thing was I also in my back where my shoulder blade was, it's never hurt there before. I kept tryin to shake it off and kept working at editing photos that I needed to get done. By the time I layed down to cuddle with Brielle I couldn't. I lasted for a few minutes and had to leave. I for sure had developed a temperature and I was FREEZING and ached and HURT. I ended up calling in sick again for Thursday.
That night was the longest night. I tossed and turned and moaned, it seemed I couldn't get comfortable and I hurt. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. I didn't have much of an appetite but if I ate, it stayed down. I couldn't tell if I had the flu or something else was going on. By Thursday afternoon my fever was down, My body didn't ache much and could pinpoint my pain being in my right upper quadrant (RUQ) of my stomach. I thought maybe I was having gallbladder issues. I still wasn't feeling super so we decided to go to ER and get things checked out. I was real hesitant about doing it but tried to convince myself that if it was a stone, it would be a quick fix and I could enjoy my very busy and planned out 3 day weekend.
Meanwhile throughout the day Brielle's appetite was decreasing. She would say she was hungry and eat maybe a few bites. She refused eating more than a few bites of her Daddy's yummy homemade vegetable soup and ate some bread. I was afraid she was starting to get sick.
By the time we got to ER it was crazy busy. I ended up in an overflow room with chairs and they asked Matt to stay in the waiting room so he wasn't taking one of the seats. FOUR hours later Matt finally came back and sat with me. I had an ultrasound done and guess what....NO STONES. I had lab work done and no results, and I hadn't talked to anyone for four hours. Finally I went up and asked one of the Nurses for some Tylenol and to ask what the plan was. I was getting pretty frustrated. By around 12:30 I finally got my own bed and could lay down. Still no Tylenol, no nurse, no doctor....NOTHING. By this time I really wanted to go home. Finally the nurse came in and gave me some Tylenol and told me my labs looked good but I had a boarderline pregnancy test and they had to do more lab work. Wait! WHAT??? Boarderline pregnancy, I thought it was a black and white test...no gray. You either are or you are not. That made no sense to me.
What seemed to be centuries later the doctor came in. Told me my pregnancy test was negative and she did not have a diagnosis for me. She said I didn't fall into any category and nothing made sense. She gave me the, "I don't know" diagnosis. She did say what could have happen was I had a stone and it build enough pressure up that it popped it out. She didn't like that I had a high fever all Wednesday night/early Thursday morning. She said if I was complaining of any pain she would have continued searching for answers but since I was feeling better, she sent me home. THANK GOODNESS. It was a nightmare in there.
Oh I almost forgot. Right after getting into my room my mom told me that Brielle just woke up and threw up all over herself, the coach, floor and my mom. She thought was going to die. Little history here....my mom has NEVER.... EVER.... cleaned up throw up. My dad always did. But my dad was not there and she was stuck with the clean up. I offered for Matt to go home and clean it up but she bravely took on the task. Poor thing.
When I came home my mom bolted out of the house. Brielle ended up in our room crying her tummy hurt and running a fever. Yet another long night. By morning my body was still achy from a temp and my tummy was still in knots but no RUQ pain. I had Matt run to the store and get some soda and Tylenol. Brielle was beyond excited to be able to drink soda. We watched TV and movies most the morning and she seemed to be doing better. She told me as long as she had soda, she was feeling better. She sure the heck wasn't sick enough to be lethargic and cuddly, instead she was fussy and whiny. By the afternoon we all took naps. Brielle took the longest nap of her toddlerhood, about 3 hours!
Everyone woke up feeling better. My tummy still wasn't happy but I felt I felt I could push through it and we could make it to the Aces game (we had purchased the tickets a couple weeks ago). I still couldn't eat and the smell of food made my stomach turn. I couldn't believe my acute sense of smell. YUCK! We made it through the game and home again. I discovered my body confirmed by pregnancy test....yes I had started my period. I was anxious for my bed and to curl up and let my tummy relax.
Saturday morning I woke up and I felt 100% better. NO PAINS in my tummy and my body didn't ache! I was so excited! I felt crummy from not eating and felt I should eat, however still no appetite. Mr. Miles was my 6:15 wake up call and so I headed downstairs to feed him. While we were at the table what I thought was gas was something different. I had to run to the bathroom and YIKES did I have the runs. I don't know if I have ever had the runs like that. I couldn't eat or drink without it stimulating things, so I didn't eat. I couldn't be far from the bathroom cause when it hit, watch out!
Man was I disappointed. I wanted to get out of the house and do so much today. I was really bummed. At this point I was convinced that I had the flu, luckily it was almost done with it. As a result our morning was really low key. It was probably best. Matt was able to lounge around and get some cat naps in, Miles took a 4 hr nap! I was able to get a nap too. After my nap I decided I was going to force myself to get in the truck and take Matt to the rib cook-off. As soon as we drove down the street I was regretting my decision. I felt like I needed to go again and holding it killed my tummy. The rib cook-off was crazy busy. Matt got in a slow line and it took forever, Miles was getting too hungry and he was getting very difficult to handle. Brielle wanted to get out or her car seat too but I wouldn't let her. Finally, Matt made it back to the truck! He was pretty excited cause Andrew (our connection at the rib cook-off) had to check out Matt's $100 bill. Once Matt helped Andrew make the connection, Andrew gave him free BBQ sauce and add a few more ribs to our order. While he was talking I was trying to get the kids read to eat. We started feeding the kids right away. I had ordered some shrimp and to much of my surprise Brielle loved it and ate most of them. Miles ate most of my pulled pork sandwich in which Matt could not feed him fast enough. My stomach was still killing me so I didn't eat again.
I had a Groupon (a discount deal)at the Aces home solution store and it was to expire that day. It was one thing I had to get done. I originally bought it hoping to get a new bookshelve for the kids books. However when we got there we weren't impressed with anything they had. I was able to use their bathroom and was grateful to discover it was just gas. I was started to feel better.

We were supposed to go to the temple but I was too afraid to get the runs again and I chose not to go. While Matt was at the temple I took the kids and met up with my mom and sister and went shopping. It wasn't my favorite experience, I was feeling really weak and crummpy from not eating for 2 days. I love being around my mom and sister and found some good deals. Brielle desperatly needed new pants and Miles needed some new shoes. I was happy to get those things. We finished up shopping just in time to hit Tim Mooney's wedding open house. I tried to eat a little something there but still didn't have much of an appetite. I was super weak and struggling.
By the time I made it home I was DONE. I felt awful due to the lack of food but I still couldn't force myself to eat. I knew this wasn't a great way to go into Fast Sunday but what was a girl to do? I started my fast and went to bed.
This morning I woke up weak but feeling good. I had to shower which was about the death of me but I forced myself to keep going to bath the kids. The bath was a nightmare with Brielle, she fought...every...step...of...the...way!!! I was dying. It just got worse from there. She is fighening everything we say and do and it's a big power struggle right now. She is seriously tough. We ended up missing chuch. I made Brielle take a nap before 10 AM! Luckily she slept for an hour. Miles is still asleep.
Wow what a week. I am praying that Matt nor the rest of my family gets this. I has truly been a challenging week and wish to not visit it again. I have lost 6 pounds as a result of this week as well, that may be the only perk to the whole thing.

No comments: